RE: [oletrucks] broken stamped Chevy V-8 rocker arm...causes?

To: "'GremlinGTs@aol.com'" <GremlinGTs@aol.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] broken stamped Chevy V-8 rocker arm...causes?
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 08:06:36 -0500
If an intake valve fails to open the symptom is the same as a bad
spark plug, as you describe.  If an exhaust valve fails to open
symptoms are much worse.  The cylinder is still filled with gas/air
mixture, it is still ignited by the spark plug, but because the
exhaust valve does not open the burned mixture has nowhere to go
until the intake valve opens again.  At that point burned gas/air
mix is ejected back into the intake manifold causing backfires
and messing up the mixture to the rest of the cylinders.  Does
not sound to me like your failed rocker was to an exhaust valve.

The loose adjustment was probably the cause of the premature
failure of the rocker arm.  With hydraulic lifters there is no
"slack" in the valve system.  Solid lifters (I doubt you are
using them) have a few thousandths of an inch of clearance.
In either case, too much clearance will cause failure of the
weakest part, probably either the rocker arm or the push rod.

Starting at the front of the block on a Chevy V8, the valve
sequence is exhaust, intake, intake, exhaust, exhaust, intake,
intake, exhaust.  So if your bad rocker was the sixth one, it
was an intake.

If it were me, I'd replace the rocker arms as a set in my
driveway on a cool morning instead of one at a time on the
road dealing with a hot engine and a limited tool set.
Probably the pushrods too.