Re: [oletrucks] rear ends 1/2

To: mytruck@hehe.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear ends 1/2
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 02:41:41 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/00 9:33:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, mytruck@hehe.com
writes:

> Someone said there are many options for rear ends.  I really like the
>  original setup with three speed for the power(with low spd rear).  I
>  understand that no matter what you lose power with a gain in speed.  Is
>  there a rear gear change that would only slightly change the ratio to
>  improve speed some(enough for highway), but not too much for losing power?
>  What is this magical changeover if there is one?  Any personal experiences?
>
>  Thanks.
>
>  Tex Carr
>  59 chevy short step

  Well,

  My '59 came with the 4.10 rear...I put in a 3.54 rear and she pulls fine
(still running the 235 and 4 sp granny box), but i haven't ru n it loaded
yet, although I do pull a few hills empty, and into some very strong
headwinds (Altamont Pass) without a problem, and plenty of pedal left.

  I think I could have gone to a higher (lower numerically) rear, but glad I
didn't, the 3/4 shift really sucks now, if I'm pulling up a hill I need to
take it up to about 2600-2700 to keep from lugging going into 4rth.  I know,
I know, not really high RPMs, but I had gotten used to driving it like a
Cummins motor:)

  BTW, I also run 30.5 / 9.50-15's in the rear too.

  Mike