[oletrucks] three speed

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] three speed
From: "dph55@pdq.net" <dph55@pdq.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 08:42:05 -0500
My three speed on my 51 GMC is giving me trouble. The transmission has been
replaced with a 1964 chevy transmission. I have manufactured brass bushings to
take up most of the slack in the 2nd--third linkage which seems to be worn the
most. I thought that would make both sides of the H pattern more symmetrical
and solve the problem of the gate being transient; that is not in the same
place each time you shift. It still doesn't want to come out of 2nd gear most
of the time and usually has to be jiggled a lot going from low to second to
get it thru the gate. Since I haven't been able to watch the movement of the
linkage while someone shifts it, my next thought is to remove the transmission
side cover and see what kind of condition the parts are in there. The question
is; Do I need to drain the transmission first? Then what is the proper
procedure to remove without disaster? Am also open to any other suggestions
for a fix. The shift box levers are worn where they ride in the housing and
this seems to cause misalignment of the upper and lower slots for the shift
lever to engage.

Dave Handley
51 GMC  5 window
Houston,TX