Re: [oletrucks] Creating a tandem

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Creating a tandem
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 20:10:55 EDT
Guy,

Where are you at? If you're around Oregon there's a salvage yard just down
the road from my house full of old BIG truck stuff. He's got dozens of
complete tandem setups. These are prolly for 60-80,000 GVW trucks, but even
if they were to big for you to use, you could still see how they work, get
ideas, contemplate whether it's feasible.

Constructive criticism: The main reason for desiring to build something like
this would have to be uniqueness? Right? Wreckers aren't tandem axle. The
heaviest single vehicle you could ever haul could never exceed 10,000 pounds.
Your rig couldn't possibly weigh more than 10,000 pounds. Add your rig and
what it could haul together and you get 20,000 GVW. I don't think I've ever
seen a 20,000 GVW tandem rear axle truck. There's no need for the second axle.

If you really wanted to build this, I would consider making the second axle a
"dummy axle" and not a driving one. Just find a rear with the same bolt
pattern and same hubs (preferably the same exact rear end) and remove the
pinion. Install a plug or cover plate where the pinion was and you're done.
Just reread your message and you would be using the same exact rear end if
you went with the '52's.

I think your biggest problem in building something like this would be your
brakes. You would have to transplant some sort of later model disc brake
truck front end to give you the necessary stopping power to safely haul a
heavy load.

Dustin/ Aurora, OR
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons
48 GMC 3/4 ton

Hello to all on this list,
This is my first posting (I just found this last night)

Now on to my question/story. I have a 53 GMC 3/4 Ton "Bubba" as he is
lovingly called, with a homemade flatbed that I have been driving for 12
years and recently aquired a bucket of rust 52 Chevy 3600 and was
contemplating converting my 53 over to a tandem car hauler using the rear
axel from the 52. Has any one ever undertaken such a task or know of someone
who has, or even seen any thing like what I'm talking about?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Guy Whelan