[oletrucks] Will this rear end fit in my '59?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Will this rear end fit in my '59?
From: "Jason E. Markel" <markel@webt.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 23:19:42 -0400
I'm looking to do a rear end swap on my '59.  Ideally, I want to get a 5
bolt pattern (preferably GM), between 3.07 and 3.27, posi, and discs.  I
found one from an 86 Trans Am that meets these criteria, but don't know
whether it meets the width requirements.  Has anyone used a post-82 axle
from a Camaro or Firebird in a TF truck?  If width is correct, is there
anything I should know about this axle that would make it undesirable.  I
know I'll have to add spring perches and cut off all the other mounts, but
will this axle handle truck duties (I do actually use this truck to haul
rock, topsoil, whatever --- not a garage queen).  Are there other potential
late-model swaps I should consider that would meet the above criteria?

Somewhere a while back I saw postings on Lincoln Versailles rear end swaps
as a direct fit by switching around the springs or something.  Was this
swap for AD trucks or TF's?  Does it bolt in to the drive-line.

I guess I should ask one other question.  What is the correct width rear
end for this truck and how do you measure it?  The truck currently has a
'71 12 bolt in it from the prior owner.  Looks OK in there, but I don't
know if it has the exact width of the original or not.

Thanks.
Jason

'59 Short Fleet