[oletrucks] '40 GMC BIGGG truck parts and gas engine questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] '40 GMC BIGGG truck parts and gas engine questions
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:54:08 EDT
Hey everyone,

I've always thought one of the best looking trucks ever made is the '40 GMC.
You can't beat that grill! In the back of my mind I always pictured myself
finding and restoring a '40 Jimmy pickup someday, but definately not right
now seeing as I'm already up to my ears in my current old truck project. The
thing is though, I found one, well sorta. It's a '40 GMC 2(?) ton flatbed,
says 26,000 GVW on the side. The thing's got near perfect grill and
sheetmetal, except rusty cab and doors. I can pick it up for next to nothing,
I just have to figure out a way to get it home.

I can't tell exactly what kinda setup is on the back of this thing because
the back half is buried right now, but it's got tons of levers (4-6) in the
cab, so it must have a pto driven something back there. It's got a vacuum two
speed too.

I looked at the engine and I guess in '40 GMC didn't have the 228, 248, 270,
302 six family yet because this engine is definately not one of those, or
maybe they did and this is one of the "BIG" sixes, I'm not familiar with
those engines though. What I'd like to know is is what is this engine? It's
not built like a pickup engine- it's got that "industrial" look to it. The
manifolds and 1 barrel Zenith carb are on the passenger side. There's no
script on the plain rocker and side covers. I believe the cylinders and block
are 1 piece, not seperate chunks bolted together like I thought the "BIG" GMC
gas sixes were. There's an 80# factory oil guage in the cab and a HUGE oil
filter under the hood. There was some sorta ID plate riveted to the side
cover with " BORE MAIN STROKE and some stamped numbers I didn't have time to
make out. What is this engine? Anybody want it? And the rest of the running
gear?

And for what I'm planning on doing with the rest of the truck, I'm thinking a
twin turbo small block under the hood and it'll turn 15's in the 1/4. I might
lose the front fenders as well. They're in really good shape. I think the rig
would look really mean without 'em. I can't imagine they're too easy to find,
so if you need some, we can work something out.

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons
48 GMC 3/4 ton