Re: [oletrucks] 454 in my truck

To: "Brian _" <pkupman57@hotmail.com>, <jforbes@primenet.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 454 in my truck
From: "Karl Lutes" <lutes@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 23:18:45 -0400
Brian-

I bought my 55 2nd GMC from a guy who had a beefed-up 454/TH400 combo set on
the original front end with a floor shifter. He also had a late model
steering column and wheel put in, but no power steering or brakes. It took
careful planning, muscle and sweat to drive it. The whole job wasn't very
well executed and because of a concurrent project I decided to concentrate
my resources into making at least on driveable truck. I ended up putting
mine on a 72 chev front clip. After that conversion was done there wasn't
enough room for headers so I went with stock manifolds, and there wasn't
enough room for a conventional fan so an electric one was put in. It also
needed some bigger springs to handle the weight of that hoss. In both cases
there weren't any changes made to the firewall.

    Just got some new wheels and tires and it is driving real nice other
than keep the temperature down and the starter from sticking after that.
Take it from an old timer, there are few better ways to impress chicks than
to see you sprawl out on the hot asphalt and hose down your starter with a
plastic bottle of water so the darn thing will start. They love that. They
start to realize why you want to spend your time with the truck rather than
see some movie with them. Or maybe not.

    If you want to put the 454 into a 57 front end I can go back and get
some pictures of the old frame set up sans motor.

Karl Lutes
Union KY
55 2nd GMC