[oletrucks] Re: 454 in my truck

To: Brian _ <pkupman57@hotmail.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: 454 in my truck
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:45:51 -0700
Brian--

Hi, good to see you coming to your senses!   :)

I have big blocks in both of my 59s, and also in the new chassis for my
57 Suburban.  The 59s use stock steering and brakes, and tubular
crossmembers (from TransDapt).  The engines sit to the passenger side a
bit, and forward a bit, from stock location...and have long water pumps,
with stock radiators, and full size normal fans.  The valve covers are
very close to the firewalls, and the distributors (HEI) are also close,
but they do clear.  The headers (street rod type on one, 68-87 pickup
Hedman on the other) just barely clear the stock steering box.  All in
all, I'm quite happy with the setup...I've had the orange truck running
like this for over 20 years!  so I'm quite used to it.

The Suburban got a 72 Camaro type front subframe, welded to the stock
frame (cut off near the firewall).  The engine fits real well in the
stock Camaro location, using Camaro headers, with power steering, and
disk brakes.  I have not put the body on yet to check clearances, but my
measurements comparing it to the 59s show it in the same place relative
to the firewall.  The Camaro subframe also offsets the engine to the
passenger side...which is quite common in many production cars.  The
steering shaft hookup, and parking brake linkage are both areas that
require some carefull attention with this swap.  Also, radiator to
steering box clearance could be a problem.  Also, the 57 and 59 use
different front sheetmetal, and the 58-59 frame is a couple inches
longer at the front than the 55-57...so measure first!

The tubular crossmembers I used are not quite bolt in...you have to weld
the end parts to the center part.  Also, you may have to relocate the
brake lines, or at least be careful of them.  I don't know if there are
any other ones available that are a better fit--but I know that you
really don't want to finalize engine location untill you have ALL the
parts in place!  including headers, steering, fan, radiator, distributor
with cap, valve covers, etc.  This is a lesson you have to experience to
really believe...if you have to redo it even once, the lesson is
learned.

Jim F
Big block 59s in AZ