[oletrucks] alternator charging speed

To: Jack Halton <safesix@earthlink.net>, Charles Culver <sculver@iwl.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] alternator charging speed
From: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:53:38 -0700
Byron,
That is true, a normal alternator charges better at low speeds than a
generator.

The difference is these guys are probably using the one wire Delco setup.
They have to reach a certain speed before the regulator energizes the
field coils.

Thats one of the reasons I used the two wire on my truck, it is energized
by the ignition switch. You can do this without a diode by putting a 12v
light bulb in the wire from the switch to the alternator, thats how the
stock indicator lights are set up.

John Dorsey
Wauchula, FL
'49 Chevy 3800 panel