Re: [oletrucks] pulley size, water pump speed...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] pulley size, water pump speed...
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:16:16 -0500 (CDT)
The big reason most cars and trucks went to cross flow radiators was to
lower the hood line.  The radiator could be much shorter without a tank on
the top and bottom.  On most American V8's the water pump pumps water into
the engine instead of drawing it out.  For the same reason, it is pumped
into the bottom of the engine and exits through the top.  This makes sure
that even if the radiator is very low, the engine is still full of water
and won't overheat.

I've heard about the slower water pump allowing more cooling, never tried
it.  The engineer in me says that slower flow will produce cooler exit
water, but less of it.  The higher flow will produce warmer water, but more
of it.  Net result is that higher flow should dump more heat (btu's) from
the radiator and cool better.  This is for what it is worth.  We have a
shop in town that engineers heavy equipment radiators from scratch and
builds them as replacement for Cat, Lectra Haul, and others.  I'll give
their engineering department a call on Monday about this.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN