Re: [oletrucks] pulley size, water pump speed...

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] pulley size, water pump speed...
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:05:49 -0500 (CDT)
Not to belabor the point, but on many engines, the thermostat also controls
a valve that bypasses directly to the water pump suction when the engine is
cold.  This makes the engine warm up a lot faster, which is good for
emissions.  I'm not sure how far this goes back, but I know that the
current (until last year at least) 350 and 454 have this feature and they
have had it for at least 20 years.  The inline 6's don't.  The modern V 6's
and 4's do.  I seem to remember the bypass hose (the little L shaped hose
between the thermostat housing and the water pump) starting in the late
60's or early 70's.

It's easier for the water to go through the open bypass than through the
radiator.  Pull the thermostat and the radiator stays bypassed when the
engine is hot and the engine overheats.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN