RE: [oletrucks] Brake Drum removal on 56

To: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>, "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Brake Drum removal on 56
From: "Gwyn Reedy" <mgr@mgrcorp.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:21:56 -0400
Thanks for all the various advice.

Best bet is to back off the adjustment so the shoes are very loose. I have
already tried a medium puller (don't have a large one) many hammer strokes,
lots of WD-40 etc. Both rear drums appear to be free of the wheel studs and
center of the axle - the drum will wiggle enough to show this. Gotta be
hanging on the shoes near the wheel cylinder.

Three of the four wheels do not turn. That is part of the problem. We used a
jeep to drag the truck to the front of the junk yard, then I used the winch
on my trailer to pull it on. Slid it up the ramps on some old plywood. Dang
thing has been sitting on the trailer, jacked up, for six months now. Don't
want to drag it off - it is at a nice working height so figured I'd better
loosen up the brakes/wheels before I try to unload.

I'll let you all know when I figure it out.

Gwyn Reedy
Brandon, Florida

Chevy   '38 and '46 1 1/2 Ton (projects)
Trucks: '70 and '71 C-50 (haulers)
        '56 3100 (project)
        '65 C-10 (project)
        '72 Cheyenne half ton (driver)
        '72 Cheyenne Super half ton (driver)
        '69 El Camino SS396 (rebuilder)
        '83 Suburban 1 ton doolie, 6.2 NA diesel.
mailto:mgr@mgrcorp.com