[oletrucks] Turn signals

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Turn signals
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 08:13:13 -0700
Steve--

Turn signals were an option on trucks into the early 60s.  Many trucks
came without, then had them added later with a universal switch and the
ugly lights on top of the fenders.

If you buy some reproduction front turn signal/park light assemblies,
they should have the correct 2 wire socket to accept the 1157 dual
filament bulbs...which you can wire for turn signals and parking lights.

You may also be able to find some sockets at the auto parts store that
you can install in your existing parking light assemblies.  The original
sockets are crimped in place, so you'll have to do some work to get out
the old ones, and possibly enlarge the hole to make the new ones fit.

On that spotlight...one of my 59s came with a Unity spotlight (probably
added on when the truck was still young), not the mirror kind.  I think
the mirror type was usually installed on cars, and it's not too common
to find one on a truck...but I really doubt it was original equipment.
Add on spotlights were very popular in the 40s and 50s.

Look at the place where the original mirror bracket went...  you may be
able to find where bodywork was done to fill in the 3 bolt holes.

Jim F
59s in AZ