Re: [oletrucks] Overheats at idle

To: ADvent@thuntek.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Overheats at idle
From: "A. Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 19:27:50 -0700 (PDT)
Here's the stuff I thought important for a "period correct" hopped up
motor for my '50 (and with the assistance from K. Pat Smith of Inliners
International):

261 cubic inch Chevrolet 6 cylinder (inline)
Bore and stroke:  3.9405" x 3.7500"
Head:
- 235 - 848 casting
- Elliptical valve profile
- Ported
- Stock rocker arms
- Tubular push rods
Block
- Full flow, pressure oiling
- Aluminum flat top pistons with 9.0 to 1 compression ratio
- Full balance
- Stock 261 rods
- Custom Pontiac harmonic balancer
- High volume oil pump
Cam (poor selection for the intake system)
- Intake and exhaust:  264 duration at 0.250" lifter rise
- Lift:  intake and exhaust 0.445"
- Power range: 2,000 to 4,000 rpms
Intake
- Offenhauser dual intake manifold
- 2 x stock Rochester B carburetors
Exhaust
- Dual Fenton cast headers
- 2 x 36" glass packs
- Shotgun 1-3/4" dual exhaust
Ignition
- Stock spark delivery (soon to be converted V6 HEI)

It scoots!  The weak link is the stock 4 speed and it may get changed to
a Saginaw in the future (I'm trying to keep the truck period
correct).  With 3.55s in the rear, it does very well on the
highway.

Thanks for asking!

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100