[oletrucks] VIN and serial numbers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] VIN and serial numbers
From: "Dennis O'Connor" <boyoconnor@netscape.net>
Date: 12 Jul 00 17:32:54 PDT
I have heard that the VIN numbers for post-'55 trucks may be found stamped
into the frame just in front of the steering box.  You know, the spot that's
covered in two full inches of grease and gunk!

Now here's the part I wish I had known earlier: California law requires you to
pay back registration on cars bought as part of a lein sale.  If the car has
no serial numbers or plates, there is no way for the DMV to collect those
fees.

While you may have to shell out some $$$ for a CHP inspection or salvage
title, it's going to be much cheaper than 5 years of sitting unregistered in
someone's garage with compounded penalties!

Just make sure the bill of sale doesn't include the DMV assigned VIN number.
The second truck I picked up has written in big letters...  "NO VIN - NO
PLATES"

Beautiful...I can honestly say I have no idea where this truck came from, and
if I did I'd probably have to spend about $3.1 billion at the DMV to get it
legally on the road again...

-Boyo