[oletrucks] Titles and stuff

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Titles and stuff
From: Vince Strazzabosco <vstrazzabosco@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 02:38:55 -0700 (PDT)
The talk about titles prompts me to relate my own
experiences....

My '41 Dodge did not have a title, and may never have
been titled or licensed.  In California, there are
procedures to follow, such as getting a bill of sale,
having an officer of the peace or DMV agent visually
inspect the vehicle's VIN#, getting a weight
certificate, etc.  Taking the time to follow their
rules and fill out all the required paperwork made it
easy to get a title.  Of course, all trucks without a
title need a weight certificate, and it's easy to get
a 4200 pound non running truck with flat tires on and
off a trailer so it can be weighed.....hey, it's a
command CAR frame, so it's legally a car....hehheh.

Without a VIN#, I would definitely try to find a VIN
plate from another truck, or stamp something into the
frame then sandblast it.....

I also have an old BMW that I brought with me from
Illinois....didn't have to pay any $300 fee to bring
it into California, though absence of a door data
label made them look carefully and make funny faces,
but as I said, "It's a beater, the sticker was
probably scraped off when it was repainted.....
Illinois didn't have any trouble registering it".

And one of my motorcycles didn't have a title, the guy
I bought it from never got a title, so I had the bill
of sale notarized, and after offering to pay whatever
I needed, I had a title after paying all the past due
registration fees.  Along the way, I noticed the name
of the person the bike was registered to according to
the DMV was not the same as the person I bought it
from.  Think about this......

Hope I inspire some other folks to make it past the
DMV hurdle.....I always make it a point to be well
dressed (suit and tie, etc.) and very polite, and
ALWAYS have all my necessary forms completed
beforehand.  They love that.

Now I need to find me a cheap, cool old Chevy, dammit.

vince
Pacifica, CA

http://mail.yahoo.com/