Re: [oletrucks] 3/4 ton OK??

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 3/4 ton OK??
From: Andrew Roberts <arobs@becker.u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 17:10:29 -0700 (PDT)
Is a 3/4 ton OK to buy?  That depends on what you want to do with it.

Most of the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton parts are interchangable.  The only place
where the sheet metal is different is the longer bed sides, spash aprons,
and running boards.

The 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton frames have the same geometry forward of the front
of the bed.  If you like straight front axles and want to use one of the
popular 1/2 ton front disk brake kits, you can even bolt in a 1/2 ton
front axle (load capacity will be decreased, but who uses their restored
truck to haul stuff anyway?)

Behind the cab, the 3/4 ton frame rails straighten and run parallel to the
longitudinal axis.  The 1/2 ton frame is wider underneath the bed.  The
3/4 ton has the springs hung outside the frame while the 1/2 ton has them
underneath the rails.

>From my experience, here are the advantages and disadvantages of a 3/4
ton.

Advantages:
The longer wheelbase gives you a slightly better ride and plenty of room
to side-mount a spare tire without an indented rear fender.  I personally
feel that the truck looks better proportioned with the longer bed and
wheelbase, however, I'm sure there are plenty of 1/2 ton owners who don't
think their trucks look short :)  The original 3/4 rear end gears are
4.57:1, but can be swapped for taller gears from a early 70s 3/4
ton.  Swapping rear end gears on a 1/2 ton requires a custom $400
gearset.  If you want to retain the stock tranny when swapping in a newer
rear axle, the rear 3/4 ton's open rear drive shaft makes this much
easier.

Disadvantages:
The truck is heavier.  The original rear gears might get you to 55 mph,
but not without revving the engine pretty high.  The longer wheelbase
significantly increases the turning radius.  Mounting modern tube shocks
on the rear requires some custom fabrication and welding (although the
bolt on kit for the 1/2 ton works fine for the front).

My running boards were smashed, rusted apart, welded together, and smashed
again by a previous owner.  Repro 3/4 ton boards are not available and I
had no luck finding used ones that weren't as beat up as mine.  You can
get fiberglass ones, which is what I finally did.

If you wan't to restore the truck to stock, the parts are still out
there and you'll have a more unique vehicle when you're done.  If you want
to keep the truck mostly stock, but add on a few simple upgrades (such as
disk brakes), it's still doable, but more difficult with a 3/4 ton.  If
you're building a hot rod, replacing the front and rear suspensions and
the whole drive train, I don't think the 3/4 ton would be any harder to do
than a 1/2 ton.

A 3/4 ton is certainly "OK" to buy.  IMO, there are many more important
factors to consider such as the condition of the sheet metal and
mechanicals.  You're apt to spend much more time doing body and mechanical
work than dealing with 3/4 ton specific problems.

Andrew Roberts
1949 3600
Buckley, WA