[oletrucks] Heat Questions-1955 GMC

To: "oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net" <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Heat Questions-1955 GMC
From: Kevin Acker <kevack@micron.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 06:30:12 -0600
Hello folks, this is my first real post to the group.
I have a stock 1955 GMC suburban pickup(cameo) with the original big 6
cylinder, 4 speed hyrdomatic and original rear end. I took the truck on
it's longest trip this weekend(45 miles one way). During the trip my gas
pedal foot was getting very hot, almost uncomfortable.  The temp gauge
was at 190 most of the way. I was driving at 55 mph all the way. The
rear end gearing kind of mandates that. When I pulled off the freeway
the temp jumped up to 200.  After getting home and parking it she pegged
at 220. I normally don't intend to take long trips with the truck, just
short 20-45 miles trips. I have been thinking about putting down some
padding with foil on each side toward the firewall ahd tranny area.
Should I worry about the temp on the tranny?  Should I or can I run a
tranny cooler? Has any one placed a fan shroud on their 55?
Should I consider a aftermarket electric fan to run after the truck is
shut off to keep the temp down? Should I consider replacing the
radiator(in good working condition)?

Thanks,
Kevin Acker
Boise, Idaho