Re: [oletrucks] "one wire" alternator

To: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] "one wire" alternator
From: New Mexico Jim <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 07:37:22 -0600
It was in 73 or 74 that GM went to internal regulators. The connector on
the alternator will be parallel to the fan. Some of the cases don't have
the ribs, so further identify by the connectors shape. Look at yours, its
thin and wide. I made my alternator bracket for my 57 which I traded for
cash and my septic tank and infiltrators installed and used a Caddy 100 amp
alternator. The cases are much bigger, so there's no "ready made" brackets
available. I made mine by welding two generator brackets together. Prior to
the CS alternators used now by GM, all GM alternators are wired to be
interchangeable as long as the connectors fit. The J2000 and Chevette have
their own cases, so avoid those. They almost fit, but no cigar.