Re: [oletrucks] "one wire" alternator

To: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] "one wire" alternator
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 06:32:21 -0700
You can go to any GM product in the mid 80's and find the alternator with
the built in regulator.  Visually they differ from the old external
regulator type by not having the #1 and #2 wire connection on the back of
the alternator.  This connection is moved to the side of the alternator
housing.  They of course won't be converted to a one-wire set-up.  You'll
have to remove the regulator out of your and put it into the replacement.
The self energizing regulator will usually have a code number and the
letters SE stamped on it.  The SE stands for self energizing of course. Some
ONE-WIRE Conversions have you remove the internal resistor that's on top of
the regulator but it won't hurt anything if you leave it on.  Pick a car
with plenty of accessories so you can have an alternator with at least 95
Amps.

Joe Garcia
Yuba City, CA
1950 Chevrolet 3100