[oletrucks] Witch hunt is over...

To: "Old Truckers" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Witch hunt is over...
From: "W&D" <haist@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:39:00 -0700
My 235 wouldn't idle..

A few weeks ago I was bragging about how I got the 235 ('54) in my newly
acquired '39 running after being parked for 10+ years.

This engine had plenty of power and great acceleration under load but always
required a choke to start and it would not idle worth a darn.  I found it
was timed way off the flywheel mark and wouldn't run at all when timed to
spec.  Vacuum was very low (11 to 14 in. Hg)  I kept digging for the answer
until I pulled the cam shaft and found a red stripe painted on it near the
rear.  I took the cam to an old timer engine man that spotted the red stripe
from 10 feet away and sad "That's a performance cam.  They're great in the
upper rpm range but they don't idle well."

Today I finished installing a stock cam and lifters ($155.. not bad!) and
setting everything to spec and it runs and idles GREAT!

Why someone put a "cam" in an otherwise plain vanilla 235 is beyond be.  If
it had dual carbs and dual exhaust I may have expected it.

Well, about 3 weeks of grief, aggravation and frustration is over.  Looking
forward to sleeping well tonight and driving my smooth running truck
tomorrow.

BTW, stock cams have a blue paint stripe on them.

<><
Whitney Haist
Orinda, CA
Chevy Trucks: 2-'46s & a '39
www.jps.net/haist/artdeco.htm

P.S.  If any one wants a nice, little used "performance cam" for their 235,
it's yours for the shipping.