Re: [oletrucks] Gas tank location

To: BOWSS@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gas tank location
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:05:16 -0400
    The '47 is pretty much the same as the Suburban location. This tank requires
some light cross members with hangars off them. The only ones I've seen for sale
are a little pricey at over $400 in stainless. I haven't been able to find them
in plain steel. They don't interfere with a open drivline but are close enough
(couple/three  inches or so) to make me have second thoughts. I think dual
exhaust would have to be routed on the drivers side until you pass the tank. The
filler can come out where the '47 does, in the lower bedside. I think this will
work for the '57, the truck in question that started this thread. Bob Adler had
an excellent article on this in This Old Truck, though I don't know what issue
it was.
    I use an in the cab tank that I had 'Renued" for $200, but after the
description of the filler being knocked off in a roll over I'm again thinking of
relocating, especially with my Firestone tires and stock high center of gravity
ride height.
   I'm not looking to offend anyone in their choice of where to put a tank, or
anything else for that matter. Just trying to consider everything in making the
safest driver I can, as well as give my opinion-ooops.

Grant