Re: [oletrucks] Mechanics Help Needed

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mechanics Help Needed
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 20:26:31 EDT
Advdesign1@aol.com writes:

>  >  Question is, can I sandblast using #1 sand (very fine) the crank and
the
>  cam
>  >  and all the other parts that used to have a mirror shine to them?
>
>  I would keep all sand away from the engine and its components.
Sandbasting

>  will change engine tolerances.
>  Talk to a macninist who might be able to hot tank away your carbon.  You
> need
>  to clean oil passages very carefully and thoroughly to remove any trapped
>  sand.
>  Bob ADler

  To add a little more to waht Bod mentioned,....most likely the block should
be tamked to clear out the oil passages...if oil coked on the cam, etc., from
the heat..it'll be coked in the passages too.  You'll need to run a small
bristle through when done.

  Are you planning on using the old lifters?  If so, did you mark their
location for reassembley?  If not...toss the cam and lifters anyway (I'd do
it on a rebuild, unless it was a roller lifter setup anyways...)

  Try poslishing the crank journals, if you don't feel comfortable doing that
at home, then take the crank in and see if it's been cut before, if not, have
it turned and checked for starightness.

   There's a host of things that should be done...you mentioned cutting the
ring groove and re-honing, but was cylinder taper taken out?  If so, you'll
need to have larger pistons or at the least, oversizes rings and fit them
accordingly.

  I realize you have done a lot of work....but it may all be for nothing
(sorry to say) if it needs to go into a shop anyways...without a decent bore
gauge, good mic's, you'll basicxally be doing a type of refurbishment on thre
motor, which rarely last for the long term.

  Good luck.

  Mike