[oletrucks] IFS swap from '72-'87 Chev

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] IFS swap from '72-'87 Chev
From: "Dennis O'Connor" <boyoconnor@netscape.net>
Date: 22 Sep 00 09:58:41 PDT
I've already sent Kevin the info about this swap, and didn't post here 'cause
it was getting a little IFS saturated...but since you asked...  :)

Yes, I'm doing this swap for my Advance Design truck right now.  Any IFS from
a '72-'87 Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton donor (C-10 or Suburban) will work, but not from
4WD (K-10).  As an extra bonus, the C-20 IFS fit onto my 3600 frame and has
the same 8-bolt spacing so all wheels are the same size.

Downside #1: The track width is about 4" wider than stock.  This clears the
fenders fine, but looks a little funny.  You can swap the rear axle too, but
my solution will probably be to get rear wheels with 1" offset and 1" extra
width.

Downside #2: The C-10 swap is the 5-bolt spacing.  I'm sure there's a 6-bolt
fix out there by swapping spindles, but I haven't done my 3100 yet so I
haven't looked into it yet.  I'd like to avoid 2 spare tires!

Downside #3: You need to upgrade your MC and brake lines.  OK, so that's
actually an upside, but don't forget to factor that cost into the project.
The C-10 has a nice MC but I've found its booster is huge - but the small
Blazers and S-10s seem to have a smaller booster which mates up to it.  Or you
can get one of the kits from the usual places.

Ride height is near stock, or worst case you'll need to cut a coil to correct
it.  You need to make spacers between the frame and the IFS, a bracket to
mount the power steering box, and shock mounts.  You'll also need to cobble
together the steering column, which I'm planning to do the same as the Pacer
IFS swap.  I got all my parts out of a Pick-n-Pull junkyard for $115, but
flirting with the checkout girl might've helped drive the price down.  ;)

I have been working with 2 other guys who have done this swap to write
everything down and make a web page out of it.  I'll be finishing it up in the
next month, but feel free to write me if you want the rough details now.
Thanks!

-Boyo (boyoconnor@netscape.net)