Re: [oletrucks] Horn wiring

To: "Mike Suriano" <climbandmaintain@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Horn wiring
From: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 18:49:17 -0500
Mike-

I had to replace the horn contact in my truck, because after 50 years of
honking, it just wore out.  Got one from one of the vendors for just a few
bucks.  Assuming that the '59 is similar to my '50, when you pry the cap off
the horn, you will find a bolt on the steering shaft.  You need to take this
off, then you can remove the plate that goes over the horn contact.  You
will see a hole where a spring contact has been pushed and is activated by
pressing on the horn cap.  I pulled out the spring, then got needle nose
pliars, and pulled out the plastic shaft that the spring was inserted into.
Now you will just have a hole where you can see the metal surface at the
back of the wheel.  When you replace the contact and plastic shaft, or tube,
you should have a clean connection to the wire coming from the steering
column.  This wire is one that goes to the relay.

On the other hand, your contact may not neet replacing.  I uses an ohm meter
to test mine, and it was bad.  Also, I am working with the original wiring
harness, and have a lot of loose ends and spliced wires, so can't really
tell you about the harness.  At any rate, I hope this explains the "mystery
wire" that comes from the column.  Took me awhile to figure it out-

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Smokey