Re: [oletrucks] Horn wiring

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Horn wiring
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 20:40:09 -0500 (CDT)
I had this stuff apart on my 57 earlier this summer up in the steering
wheel.  The horn button pries off.  Then there is a 3/4" nut and washer
that holds the steering wheel on the steering column.  Under this, there is
a disk inside that forms the switch for the horn, I have no idea how it
works, but mine was OK.  Then there's a brush assembly that goes from under
this switch to the end of the steering column.  From the end it sort of
looks like a rifle cartridge.  It should pull right out and there should be
a plastic collar, a wire, spring, and brush on the end of it.  New ones are
available from Chevy Duty and others.

There is a group of wires that enters the column just under the mount under
the dash.  The 20 ga tan one is the one that fires the horn relay.  If this
wire is grounded, the horn realy should fire and the horn should sound.
This wire is attached to the outside of outer column, which is isolated
from the rest of the chassis.  This goes through the horn switch in the
steering wheel and is grounded through the steering shaft inside the
column.

On the horn relay, the H terminal should be hooked to the horn, the B
terminal should be hooked to a 12 v+ source that comes from the battery.
This could draw up to 10-12 amps, so should be fused accordingly.  The S
terminal should go to the horn switch.  If this is grounded, the relay
should fire and the horn should sound.

Except for the horn button, which is interchangable 57-59, the parts inside
the steering wheel are interchangable from 55-2 through 59, and probably on
most other GM cars of the era too.

Good Luck

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200