[oletrucks] 46 Oil Filter

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 46 Oil Filter
From: "Ole Trucks" <hollisbsa@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 19:35:00 EDT
I just had a valve job on my motor 216 (all orginal).  In doing the valve
job, I think that the copper pipes for the Oil Filter got twisted and
started leaking.  I have tightened them down and it seems to have stoped the
leaks.  Well this got me to thinking that I should change the filter.  My
filter has a black lid and is orange in color. It is attached to the
mainfoild with two long U bolts.  It has a bolt on the top - a good place to
start.  I took this off but could not lift the lid off.  With so help I was
able to pry it off.  However it was attached with a spring.  I turned the
lid and was able to remove the lid.  Next was a small handle on what I am
guessing is the filter.  After removing about 1/8 inch of dirt and grime I
found this to be a metal lid.  I have tried to pull this up with the handel
but I can not.  It will spin in a fill circle - but not rise or fall at all.
  The only thing that seems to hold it in place by what the spring on the
lid screws into.

HELP - how do I remove this filter and how do I get a new one.  Or is it
like the air bath filter and it just needs to be cleaned.

Also, if I repaint the lid should it be flat black or glossy black?

I anyone getting 2 of every message for the past 3 days?  It could be just
me in trying to get set up to post messages from a real ISP account and not
Hotmail....

Thanks,
Jim House
Hollis, NH