[oletrucks] Hey, will old gas pass emissions tests? Just curious...

To: amc-list@lists.cc.utexas.edu, oletrucks@autox.team.net,
Subject: [oletrucks] Hey, will old gas pass emissions tests? Just curious...
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 14:40:57 EDT
   Ok, this is a weird question, but I've had a car sitting around since
Juneish, I did put some gas stabilizer in the tank, but the gas smells awful
anyway. After replacing the $120 electric fuel pump, the car is now running
again after about 8 months of sitting. The tags renewal requires the car to
pass emissions tests. Now, I've probably got 1/2 tank of gas in the car, and
don't really want to drain it out if I don't have to. What are the chances of
dumping in some Octane boost, etc, and having this car pass emissions with
old gas? Does old gas pollute more than "new" gas? Anyone ever run across
this before? I"m sure it's much less efficient, but I'm not sure how it will
affect the emissions test, as it's gotten more stringent here in VA, and
requires the ol' Treadmill test now. I was thinking of topping it off with
high-oct gas, putting some Boost in along with it, and maybe some methanol
alky to boost the oxy content ( any witches available with some eye of newt
and hair of dog? ) I really don't want to have to pump out 7-8 gallons of gas
if I don't have to, although with the electric pump, will really be alot
easier, anyway. I'd also hate to fail the tests due to just bad gas, so I"m
willing to do whatever is necessary, including pumping the gas out into
another car, and then filling it up with fresh gas. Anyone have any
experience with bad / old gas and Emissions testing? Please reply direct to :

Gremlingts@aol.com

, thanks!

Jerry Casper