Re: [oletrucks] truck show

To: "Gene Merritt" <merrittgene@uswest.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] truck show
From: "Steve Bobst" <mailman@netins.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 21:24:50 -0500
    I'd like to offer a quick review of the 1st annual Midwest All Truck
Nationals for those of you that couldn't make it to KC this past weekend.
>From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were warmly welcomed.  The desk
clerk directed us to a hospitality suite for preregistration  and
socializing (can you say "free beer"?) hosted by the Genuine Chevy/GMC Club
of KC.  We were greeted with smiles and friendly conversation that continued
throughout the duration of the weekend.
   Saturday morning trucks began pouring in around 8 am.  By about noon
there were approximatly 80 trucks registered (plus about 15 trucks which
belonged to the members of the host club).  Everything from 1940's to
1990's, stock to custom, pro street to 4 wheel drive, mini trucks to semi's
was represented.  Heck, they even had some quality F*rds entered in the
show.  A few of us had "works in progress", but for the most part the trucks
were high quality restorations or customs.  Participants came from as far
away as Colorado and Pennsylvania.
   A row of vendors was set up which included reps from Jim Carter's and
Chevy Duty.
   Of course they had the mandatory door prizes and games through out the
day on Saturday.  They had a DJ who worked his butt off trying to make sure
everyone was having a good time, even though the weather was cold, cloudy
and windy. (the only complaints I heard all weekend were weather related)
Sunday brought more friendly conversation (I enjoyed meeting many of the ole
truckers, including Eric Brown from this list) and the awards presentations,
more door prizes(including the "good stuff"), and raffle drawings.  Even as
we pulled out to go home, our hosts were lined up to say good bye.
    I was pleased with the turn out and quality of trucks for a first time
event, but more importantly I was impressed with the group that was in
charge of the show.  The hospitality we received and the enthusiasm and
organization of our hosts set this show apart.  Add to that the fact that
ALL the proceeds from the show will go to Toys for Tots, and not the club,
only confirms that these are genuine truck lovers and not your typical
promoters. I would like to extend a special thanks to Kelly Mitchell, the
show chairman and Gaileen Jackson, the club president, for their efforts.
   It was announced that the contract has been signed with the KC Airport
Marriot to host the show next year also, same weekend.  I would strongly
encourage anybody that is interested in this type of event to make plans to
attend next year. And pray for warmer weather!!

Steve Bobst
"Rough Draft" (56 3100)