Re: [oletrucks] 261 Engine

To: New Mexico Jim <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 261 Engine
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 19:37:39 -0400
    I am no authority on this question but have read some articles and talked
with people. I depends if you have a core shift block or not.  I hear a non
core shift  '54 block can be bored to .187 over, yielding  .287 cu. in.. Post
55 1st non core shift  to .120 over yielding 278 cu in. I have also read that
one person had trouble with rings seating at .120 over and didn't recommend
it. Consider that these recommendations  were  made back when blocks were
plentiful. I would be reluctant to bore a 261 block to the max, especially a
54, considering they are getting tough to come by.  Pistons over .080 get
expensive. I like to leave room for at least one rebuild

    As far as rods go; there is room for debate here. GMC rods are nice, but a
person I've talked with who raced many 235 and 261  engines said he never had
a Chevy rod failure.

Grant