[oletrucks] couple of tips

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] couple of tips
From: "Claude" <cramey@dashlink.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:14:46 -0500
I'm doing some work on my '85 ( could apply to any year truck ) and thought
I would share a few things I found.

I've been living with a clickty-clack sound for about 2 years now. This
happens only while at a stop and in gear ( automatic TH350 ). I searched for
this noise several times and couldn't find it. A couple years ago I
suspected flywheel bolts or torque converter but I couldn't get the
inspection plate off because of the exhaust pipes. I didn't want to take the
exhaust pipes off because they seemed a bit stubborn and I new some of the
bolts would break. I didn't want to put alot of work in the old engine.
Well......... I put a new engine in and I did break 2 exhaust bolts getting
them off but I found 2 of the 3 torque converter bolts loose and backed out
a little. If I tapped on the flywheel ( flexplate ) with my hand, haha thats
the noise. I wish I would have dug into that sooner.

Also, I was trying to clean the old gasket off of the valve cover and it was
really glued on good. I scraped as much as I could and then got out the
'old' wire wheel for the drill. I was working away but it didn't seem to be
taking all the cork off. It was more like shining up the cork that was left
on there. I put the drill in reverse and it stripped the old cork off fast.

Claude
'59 Apache
http://www.dashlink.com/~rameyfam