[oletrucks] introduction

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] introduction
From: "Carl Jensen" <CarlJ@jsanet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:51:08 -0700
hi--

my name is carl jensen and i just bought a 49 Chebby 3600 from a friend. it's
an all original california truck with a later model 235 six (ok, so no ENTIRELY
original). this is my first old truck (i'm a bmw guy most of the time), so i'm
learning all the quirks of owning a 51 year old vehicle (pneumatic wipers,
etc.). i have a few questions for you all:

1.  it needs an oil change. where is a good place to get the element for the
big canister filter? and what kinda oil should i use? 20w-50? i'm located in
sacramento, california where it doesn't get very cold in the winter.

2.  the steering is as sloppy as it can get, and the front end feels pretty
loose. is it worth the time and $$$ to replace the steering box, shock
absorbers, and front suspension components, or will the truck always feel kinda
loose? i'm not expecting a real tight feel, but how much can i expect?

3.  does anyone know of a place to get good 16 inch non-split-rim wheels? it's
got some unidentifiable steel wheels on it right now and i can't put the hub
caps on.

thanks, and happy truckin'

carl

49 chevy 3/4 ton