Re: [oletrucks] Downshifting - Master Cy. setup

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Downshifting - Master Cy. setup
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:28:38 -0500 (CDT)
Sounds like just the opposite.  The truck should be able to lock up the
wheels if you stand on the pedal.  If you can just get the brakes to start
grabbing with the pedal all the way down, or you have to pump, and there
are no fluid leaks and the linings and drums are in good shape, odds are
the brakes are adjusted too loose.  The exact procedure is in the manual,
but the basic idea is to tighten up the shoes until they drag and then back
off so many notches or turns on the adjuster screw until the drum turns
freely.  The brakes should set up within a half pedal and all four should
grab hold.

This applies to my 57, but I can't imagine the basic principles changed all
that much in 10 years.  I still have to do the same thing on the rear of my
96 Suburban.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN