Re: [oletrucks] Exhaust system for 350 in AD

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Exhaust system for 350 in AD
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:00:26 -0800
You shouldn't encounter any significant problems, especially if you're
having a shop build the system from the manifolds back. I had a 283 w/stock
granny 4spd in our 49 3100 for over 10 yrs with 350 smog type (plugged
fitting holes) rear dump with no interference with the stock under floor
battery, or the revised clutch linkage. We just replaced the front end with
IFS (77GMC) and a fresh 283/TH350 auto, but I retained the same 350 exhaust
manifolds. A friend with a muffler tubing bender made up some new tubing
for me with no problems with oil filter, tranny cooler lines or stock rear
tranny mount.

If I didn't already have the 350 smog manifolds I would prefer the center
dump stock Chevy "Y" type manifolds. The ones being sold (everywhere it
seems) for about $120 ea,  but there is a guy in Oregon selling only the
left hand, w/generator flange for $75 ea.  Buy two LH and spend 5 minutes
at the chop saw and  30 minutes with a grinder and you have a RT and LH
manifold.

I'd suggest running the pipes all the way back to the rear bumper/tailgate
area, vs dumping by the rear axle. The first setup with the 4spd dumped
just forward of the rear axle, and utilized round glass pack mufflers. I'm
older now and can't appreciate heavy metal rock, rap, or the exhaust
dumping in front of the rear axle:) Seriously, it is much quieter with
turbo style mufflers, and the pipes running up over the rear axle and
dumping downward just between the non-stock rear bumper and rear fender.
It's barely visible from the side or rear of the truck.

>I'm putting a 350 in my 49 panel and want to run dual exhaust off stock 350
>manifolds.  The master cylinder and hydraulic clutch cylinder (a set up from
>Speedway) are under the drivers floor pan and the battery will be in stock
>location under passenger side floor board.  What kind of problems am I
>going to
>encounter in building an exhaust system.  I am going to take it to a muffler
>shop that apparently has a good amount of experience in building systems for
>race (stock) cars but I am just curious what I can expect when that time
>comes.

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer
e-mail - bfischer@utm.net  or  robert.f.fischer.jr@syntegra.com