Re: [oletrucks] '49 3100 and modern gas - Questions

To: "Holly and Chris Mills" <scmills@tntech.edu>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '49 3100 and modern gas - Questions
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:33:56 -0500
Chris, you will probably get some opposite opinions on this question but
from my experience, unleaded does not have a serious effect on valve seats
of older engines under normal usage. By normal usage I mean light loads and
a mild cam that doesn't slam the valves shut with high spring pressures.

If the engine is being rebuilt, hardened seats are a good idea for an extra
$100 or so, but not warranted otherwise.

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL