[oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] Pinion repair

To: old-chevy-truck@egroups.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] Pinion repair
From: Bruce Michaels <hbn@ojai.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:45:35 -0800
Hey Mike,
If its the same type as the 3/4-1 ton rear end, its not that difficult
at all. just disconnect the drive shaft, take out the six or so bolts
holding the pinion cover on, and tap out the pinion from the back side
of the yoke using a mallet. the rest of the disassembly can be done on
the bench. mine have two tapered roller bearings, and one double sided
single piece race (for both bearings). they all just slid right off the
pinion shaft after i disconnected the castle nut that holds the yoke on.

One of these day's I'll post some pics on the site showing some of the
tear down I did to my front and rear end (both identical on my NAPCO).
Bruce
http://www.ojai.net/hbn/killer51.html