[oletrucks] O2 sensors/ Air/fuel ratio guages

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] O2 sensors/ Air/fuel ratio guages
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:43:03 EST
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of putting together a 400+ horse 350 for my old truck and
at the same time I'm doing some renovating of the exhaust. I've got hooker
super comp headers and I'm putting 3" heavy wall aluminized all the way back
through 40 series flows. With a 525 lift 300 degree single pattern cam she
should sound purty healthy (as well as go good too). Anyway, I've never been
too good at jetting carbs right and lately I've heard alot about using O2
sensors and a millivolt meter to read your air/fuel ratio and jet your carb
correctly. I've seen those fancy LED air/fuel guages that belong in rice
burners and while I really like the idea of having an air/fuel guage, that
rice burner look doesn't match my stewart warners at all. However, I've found
I can get WWII aircraft 12 volt air/fuel ratio guages that don't look to bad
for dirt cheap. The problem is I have no idea how these guages sensed
air/fuel ratio.
My question is: Does anybody know how these old guages worked or if they'd
work with an O2 sensor? FYI: an O2 sensor has an output in millivolts from
say 0-1100 millivolts. 700 is lean 1100 is rich.

Dustin
50&53 GMC 1/2 tons
clllsls@aol.com