[oletrucks] Restoring paintjob question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Restoring paintjob question
From: varanus@phoenix.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:27:34 -0600
Hi:
I have a 57 chevy with original paint. When I bought the truck 10
years ago, there had been some surface rust that we compounded
out and she shined like factory (barring a few scratches). Now,
after being in the garage for the last 5 years, that surface rust has
shown up again. The roof is white - bombay, ivory - whatever stock
white for 57 was called - and this is the area in question as the rest
of the truck is shining up nicely.
I am able to compound out the rust with serious elbow grease and
restore the original white luster. But, it's taking forever - literally. An
orbital buffer with a terry clothe cover isn't doing it - only elbow
grease with a sponge applicator is able to slowly buff out the rust.
Is there anything anyone can recommend to speed the job?
Perhaps an industrial grade compound or different applicator?
It almost needs a sanding but this is the original paint so I am
trying to take off as little as possible - especially as the roof has
the thinnnest layer given the higher exposure roofs recieve to
sun/rain/leaf litter, etc.
BTW, I am using that gritty paste compund named No.7 - the stuff
in the dark green and white can. I tried the expensive cleaning
McGuires for the orbital sander and nada - didn't work. I also tried
Turtle wax compound which also didn't work.
I think I need the next level of paint restoration products.
Any help would be appreciated.