[oletrucks] Off-topic - Any knowledgeable model train guys out there? AF

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Off-topic - Any knowledgeable model train guys out there? AF,S,
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:01:52 EST
    I've been buying some old tinplate trains from some auctions, and have
been getting some interesting items of late. I collect HO,Lionel  0-27, and G
guage mostly, but I have some N gauge, and have gotten some Marx, American
Flyer, and S gauge occasionally. What I need to know is - Marx is AC voltage,
for the most part, and pretty cheap, compatible with Lionel. American flyer
track is the same size as 0 gauge, but two rail, and will connect with the 3
rail. Is American Flyer AC or DC voltage, and can I rewire the 0 gauge 3-rail
track to accept DC voltage to run the trains? S gauge track is actually
narrower, I believe? I thought that American Flyer and S gauge were the same,
but after reading some history, they made 2-rail track that was the same
width as Lionel 0 gauge, then later came out with S gauge as a separate
American flyer offeriing. At least from one night's reading of some websites.
I have a few wind-up train engines that fit the track as well, but don't have
a key to one of them. Just trying to figure out what I can do with the stuff
I have. Thanks for any history lessons and operating no-nos and such.

Jerry Casper
Jcasper@dynetcom.com
Working on AMC Pacer dash switches
getting ready to sandblast Task Force Chevy 6-lug rim
tinkering with my "toy" trains