Re: [oletrucks] Off-topic

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off-topic
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 18:41:59 -0600
Fair enough, but re-reading my post in full covered that issue. Meanwhile,
while there are a lot of good tips and tricks we all get out of our
tinkering with older technology, there are many more out there who use
bailing wire and duct tape to fix virtually everything. Their tool boxes
consist of a hack saw, a crescent wrench, linemans pliers, and of course a
hammer which no tool box would be complete without. I am currently modifying
a 1950 3100 with a modern rear end, overdrive, turn signals and electric
wipers. I listen carefully to this list for lots of modification tips. Its
when debates start to ensue that it becomes spam.

I have to admit I am sort of a communist when it comes to owners rights. I
have seen many a truck hacked up by some shadetree mechanic who thought IFS
would be cool on his old truck. Problem is, shade tree'ers arent normally
rocket scientists and if you dont get your geometry exactly perfect, you
have ruined a truck forever. The whole truck is now a parts truck at best.
But they dont have the heart to part it out, so what do they do? They sell
it to some unsuspecting person who thinks they have more than they do. Where
I go salvaging there is row upon row of old vehicles of all makes and models
hacked beyond repair. There should be an IQ test required before anyone is
allowed to mess with their (but maybe later someone elses) truck. I miss Bob
Adler. His advice and help was really priceless. I am not totally
discouraged however. We have MANY really knowledgeable people here with the
list growing everyday. I am very thankful for all the help I have received
here.

Deve Krehbiel
Hesston, Kansas
1950 3100 * 1949 3600 * 1948 4400 * 50 3100
www.speedprint.com/Deves50/index.html