Re: [oletrucks] Steering wheel repair

To: <tcape@weblnk.net>, <passnb4u@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steering wheel repair
From: Rlcokc@aol.com
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:20:30 EST
i recently repaired my steering wheel. first removed the old portions of
rubber barely held in place and sandpapered the whole thing. then used bumper
two part repair material to fill in spaces. had some spots as large as one
inch by three-quarters of inch. had to go thru process of adding material and
sanding several times. use sandpaper and water. i didn't do aperfect job on
sanding and the smallest imperfection will show after painting. i then
purchased enamel paint with epoxy as i was advised i needed. one such paint
is for appliances. icould not find any in blaack and ended up using paint
from home depot. the paint is not perfect and will continue to put on
additional coaats until i get the shine i want. the paint will not cover up
the imperfections in the work with the filler. Best of luck and perhaps my
problems were due to my lack of any mechanical expertise.
indeed that is why i too hate to see those who really know what they are
doing, from experience, leave this list.
rod cook-41 chevy and 41 plymouth half tons.