[oletrucks] Carb (?) Question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Carb (?) Question
From: Mikerross@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:54:33 EST
Hey guys I've been trying to help a neighbor start his '54 Chevy Truck.  He's
obviously desperate for mechanical assistance because he has asked me for
help.  Anyhow as best I can tell he seems to have a carburator problem.

When he cranks the engine nothing happens, it doesn't fire.  When I place my
hand over the carb creating a strong vacuum the engine fires almost
immediately, I remove my hand and the engine runs for 5-10 seconds then dies.
 It seems to be gas starved.

I (and my neighbor) would appreciate any ideas you guys might have.  I also
noticed there seems to me slight gas leakage between the carb and the intake
manifold.  Could this leak cause the engine to suck air instead of draw gas
throw the carb?

Could the problem be something completely different?

I would appreciate any and all thoughts.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks a lot.

Mike
'56 Chevy Truck