Re: [oletrucks] Carb (?) Question

To: <Mikerross@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Carb (?) Question
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:37:37 -0600
Mike,

Try this:

Place an ounce or two of gas directly into the carb.  The truck should fire
up and run for at least a few seconds.  If it does not fire up, then the
problem may not be the fuel, I don't know.  But if it does fire up and run,
but still won't restart; or if it does fire up and not run for longer than a
few seconds, then the problem is his fuel pump.  A new pump with a metal top
is $18 at the FLAPS so I'd try that.  It takes only about ten minutes to
replace the fuel pump.

My thought is that you are developing enough vacuum to draw the fuel into
the carb when you place your hand over the air inlet of the carb.  I had a
similar problem with my '46 and it also leaked a little gas out of a small
overflow hole in the side of the pump.  I rebuilt the unit and voila - the
truck started easily, ran  well, and no more leaking.  The diaphragm must
have been bad.

My $.02 worth.

Michael Lubitz
1946 Chevy 3/4 ton stock