RE: [oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] 3 Speed Standard

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Re: [old-chevy-truck] 3 Speed Standard
From: Hargreaves James P IHCO <HargreavesJP@concord.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:02:41 -0800
        The page that you listed refers to a Borg Warner transmission.
These are usually found in J**ps and F*rds.

        IMHO the early Saginaw transmissions found in cars and trucks
starting in the fifties through 1964 were weak.  They didn't have to deal
with much power.  Starting in 1965, the Saginaw transmission got a great
boost in how much power it could handle.  Both styles of transmissions were
available with an overdrive option.

How to tell them apart:

        The early transmission main box is about 10" long and is generally
the size and shape of a 3 lb. coffee can.  Also, the early transmission had
a couple of different length extension housings that allowed it to fit
different applications.

        The late model transmission main case is about 12" long and
basically square.  All of them that I have seen have the same length
extension housing.  Also, they are almost identical in looks to the 4 speed
Saginaw that debuted around the same time.  They are so close to the same
that with a little machine work and welding, the three speed overdrive will
fit on the four speed main case, giving those lucky enough to find the parts
a four speed overdrive!

        Please note, all vehicles originally equipped with an overdrive
transmission had a OD lockout cable.  The manufacturer recommended that the
OD be locked out when hauling heavy loads.  My experience is that the roller
clutch is on the small size and will eventually wear out if continually
subjected to heavy loads or abuse.  What does this mean?  One day, you will
be driving along.  You come to a stop sign.  When you try to go after
stopping, the engine revs, but the car doesn't move.  You then pull the OD
lockout cable, drive home, and try to find new parts.  In a couple of cases
I have seen the OD planetary gears fail.  If that happens, call your
friendly tow truck.

James P. Hargreaves
925.246.2657, DSN 350-2657
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you
nothing. It was here first."