[oletrucks] Water in brake fluid

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Water in brake fluid
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:09:14 -0700
Hi...

I think the best thing to do is just remember to replace the
brake fluid every year or two (by bleeding the brakes enough to
get out all the old fluid).

Probably moisture is more of a problem in moist areas...we don't
seem to have too many brake problems here in Arizona    :)

The vent holes ought to be left open in the cap.  The diaphram
idea probably won't work on the original master cylinder,
because the hole is way to small...if you look at the type that
uses a diaphram, you'll see that the diaphram is the same size
as the reservoir, while on an oletruck the top cap (and hole) is
only a little over an inch diameter, while the reservoir is
about 2" x 4" (approx).  If you're really concerned, switch to a
modern dual master cylinder, using one of the available kits.
They work with drum brakes if you get a drum brake dual master
cylinder, for example from a late 60s car/truck.

Jim F
59s in AZ