[oletrucks] Holiday intro

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Holiday intro
From: Dave <DaveR@neteze.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:58:15 -0800
Hello to all, and good to see you again to many!

I was on this list for a year or so, a couple of years ago.  Since I have
recently settled in one place, in the Sierras, I can now have a regular
computer connection again, and a garage so I can get back to work on Old Blue,
my '50 Chevy deluxe!  I've been subscribed to the list again, via digest, for
about a month and it's brougbt back a lot of great memories.

A couple of years back, a bunch of the members sort of re-introduced
themselves to the list for the holidays so everyone could get caught up and
aquainted.  I thought that was pretty cool, so I'll give you a brief rundown
on my project:

It's a 1950 Chevy 5 window, painted a very oxidized blue, that I picked up
about 3 yrs ago.  As it became my only transportation I've had the pleasure,
and sometimes pain, of driving it all over the western states.  It came to me
with a 235 and 3 on the tree.  It was sort of fun to drive, but with the ultra
loose suspension and the column mounted shift box that would get stuck at some
inopportune moments it was usually a full concentration effort.  Not to
mention very slow by todays standards.  I decided to modernise.  I considered
sticking with the 235 and getting a 4 spd trans with an open driveline
rearend.  However, the parts package that presented itself was a 1980 Camaro
at a good deal, so that's what I used.

Old Blue currently cruizes with a 350/350 combo, 10 bolt rear, PS, PB and a
Must. II independent front suspension.  Not to mention a tilt column and
bucket seats.  I have to say, if it weren't for this list, a lot of my urgent
questions (as this truck was re-engineered under a set time schedule) wouldn't
have had sound answers and this truck might not have gotten done, nor been
half as fun!  As it turns out, my dad and I were able to do all the work in
just under 5 months.  Whew!

Now the old gal is a pleasure to drive, is fast (has broken the "ton"), brakes
great and handles quite well.  I get looks of appreciation all the time, and
it's just generally fun to bump into other oletruckers here and there and talk
shop for a while.

I've been just driving this truck for about a year and a half now and it's
been great but it's time for more improvements.  I'm considering a new crate
motor (350 4 bolt or Vortec) with fuel injection, possibly a 700R4 trans and
it's definitely time to do the bodywork, paint and interior.  Needless to say,
I'll be perusing the archives for a while.

As for myself, I'm a 31 year old water technician who's just diggin life to
the fullest right now and looking forward to getting back to work on my truck.

Well, Merry Christmas all.  It's good to be back!

Dave Riffel