[oletrucks] Walking piston pin - 235

To: <old-chevy-truck@egroups.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Walking piston pin - 235
From: "John Walch" <chevytrucker@aiusa.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:11:38 -0500
I need some information about a "walking" piston pin.
About 1400 miles after rebuilding I had some problems with oil consumption.
After tearing it down to find the problem, we discovered that a piston pin
had "walked" or moved and gouged the cylinder wall severely enough to need
sleeving.

Other than a bent rod, what would cause the pin to move?  Is there supposed
to be a lock washer on the cinch bolt of the small end?  Are there any
torque specs for these bolts other "tighten securely" as the manual states?
Would lock tight hold up to the temperatures of these bolts?

I suppose it's possible that the rebuilder did not fully tighten the bolt.
I'd appreciate some ideas about this, as we don't want to pull the engine
again.

Thanks in advance,
John Walch

Ole Chevy and GMC trucks rule!