Re: [oletrucks] welding question

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] welding question
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:29:14 -0700
> Subject: [oletrucks] welding question
>
> I've recently added a mig conversion kit to my 115 volt Lincoln wire
> welder.  I must have been shorted an instruction sheet somewhere, as I
> can't find any listing of gas regulator settings.  I am using .025 solid
> wire, with a gas mix of 75%argon : 25%CO2, attempting to repair stress
> cracks in AD bed sides.  Can someone give me a base setting of where to
> start with the regulator setting?

You need enough gas flow to get a smooth weld...in good
conditions, ie. inside with no wind blowing, you don't need much
gas flow, but outside, with wind blowing, and welding something
with a gap in it, you need more gas flow.  The best thing to do
is to experiment with the flow rate (on scrap metal preferably),
start with it perhaps at half the flow gage's maximum reading,
and then cut the flow rate as you weld, until it starts to
sputter and get ugly...then go back up to where it works well,
perhaps a bit higher just to play it safe.

Jim F
59s in AZ