[oletrucks] A833 overdrive

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] A833 overdrive
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 08:45:08 -0700
Interesting...I have a 1981 Chevy truck shop manual,
which has a chapter on overhauling the 833.  I think
Chevy used it for a couple years, but I don't recall
ever seeing one in real life used in a Chevy truck.
I have seen a few in various Dodge cars over the
years.  The overdrive version is NOT the normal 4
speed that was used in the 60s and early 70s...the
overdrive was introduced shortly after the gas
crunch of 73-75 as a way to get a bit better mileage
on the economy cars, such as the Duster.  If you get
a 60s or early 70s 833, with the iron case, it will
NOT be an overdrive!

Chevy also used a Tremec (Ford design) overdrive 4
speed in Mexican Chevy trucks in the 80s...this
tranny was used in lots of Ford trucks as an
overdrive.  One thing...they have a big jump between
gears, especially between 2nd and 3rd.  I don't know
if the Dodge tranny has this problem.

Personally, I stick to a huge engine (454 is nice),
with a 3 speed automatic (TH400 is nice) and highway
gears (2.7-3.0 is nice).  Plenty of go, and it's not
bad at 75 mph.

Jim Forbes
59s in AZ