[oletrucks] Was about 1991 Ford Escort now Old vs New

To: old-chevy-truck@egroups.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Was about 1991 Ford Escort now Old vs New
From: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:56:30 -0500
Dont'ya just love new vehicles? HAH!

A couple of months ago I realized I can't really drive and restore my
'49 at the same time, so I bought an '89 Cherokee. Ahh the comfort! Air
conditioning! power steering! no leaks when it rains! upholstered
seats!!

Well 2 weeks ago it died, like dead-dead. So I set out with my test
light to diagnose it, HAH! I did determine it had no spark, probably the
module. Well when SHMBO's S-10 did this I just replaced stuff until it
ran. I know, I know not the professional way, but I'm a lazy, lazy man nowadays.

I ease over to my Flaps and price a module, $248.00!!?!?!! !#%^&* , the
coil $78.00!!, the dist. pick up $157.00!.

Thank goodness I have been to busy to disassemble old blue, 'cause i'ma
drivin him again.

I decided Ok, what I need is a dealer shop manual, so I got one from the
unnamed auction site for about $50.00. It got here, I looked in
ignition/EFI diagnostics, says to hook it to the DRB-ii tester and refer
to the codes in the testers manual. ARRGG! I mean at least tell me what
the output of the pick up coil is! I've got a multimeter, and an
oscilloscope, I could diagnose with just some MINIMAL information! GaaaH!

The next morning the temperature dropped to freezing here. I walked
outside there was frost all over. I just spat at the Jeep as I walked
past it on my way to old blue. Climbed in, hooked the door shut with the
bungee cord, pulled the choke, stepped on the starter, and off I go.
Yeah, the seat's poking my butt, the breeze through the floorboards is
cold, and I think I got frostbite from giving hand signals (the legal
kind!), but It RUNS! Reliably!

I got on the internet and found a site devoted to cherokees (poor
bast*rds) and found that usually this is caused by the crankshaft
position sensor ($38.00). I went to order one of those and try it, HAH!,
warehouse backorder! 1 to 5 weeks! BAH!

I decide to take the old one off and see if it's something that could be
fixed, like a broken wire, etc. I looked and looked and finally found it
on the bellhousing under and behind the manifold. I can see one bolt
from the top, and one from underneath the truck, can't get anywhere near
them, can't even touch one with a fingertip! Back to the FACTORY shop
manual to see how to change it. Detailed instructions were: "Unplug from
harness, Remove bolts, reinstall using same bolts, plug back into
harness". I Can't even SEE the whole thing! I am seriously considering
cutting a hole in the toeboard to get to this thing, I've got lots of
experience patching floorboards:-)

I can't wait until the next time some kid asks me why I drive that "old
heap" instead of a nice new car!

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula, FL